- Our Work
- Green & Just Celebrations
- Enough Already! Jewish Consumption Guidelines for Our Time
- Location, Location, Location: Venue and Accomodations
- Leaving the "Corners": Connecting Tzedakah and Service to Your Celebration
- You Get What You Ask For: Registries and Gifts
- Paper and Printing: Invitations, Programs, Bentschers, and Thank-You Notes
- Hands and Promises: Wedding Bands and Other Jewelry
- Getting Dressed: Clothing
- Topping Things Off : Kippot/Head Coverings
- Getting Centered: Centerpieces and Decorations
- Eat, Be Satisfied and Bless: Food
- You Can Take it With You: Favors
- After the Simchah: Leftovers and Cleaning Up
- Our Coming and Our Going: Travel and Transportation
- In Conclusion: A Kavannah Before Buying
- Baltimore Green & Just
- Green & Just Celebrations Survey
- Tikkun Leil Shabbat
Green & Just Celebrations
Jews United for Justice has produced a little booklet with a big mission: to work for the day when every one of the $30 million dollars that Jewish families in our area spend on weddings and bar and bat mitzvah celebrations every year will be spent in a way that reflects Jewish values.
Each section of the booklet offers specific suggestions for how families can make purchasing choices for their special day in ways that are mindful of workers’ rights and environmental impact.
The book is illustrated throughout with Jewish teachings, and with the real-life stories of more than forty DC-area families who made creative green and just choices for their own celebrations.
Click here to download a PDF copy of the guide or the Engagement Jewelry Supplement.
Have you used the guide? Give us feedback here!
If not, read the guide online here!
Order Printed Copies of the Guide:
If you live in the Washington region:
- We have guides available free to individuals in the Greater Washington area who are currently planning a simcha. Click here to order one.
- We also can provide them free of charge to to rabbis, officiants, teachers, congregations and schools in the area who will use them in their work with bar and bat mitzvah families and with couples planning Jewish weddings or commitment ceremonies. Download an order form if you are interested in ordering guides to use with your institution.
If you live outside of the Washington region:
For individuals and communities outside of the Greater Washington area, the guides are available for $5 per guide (including shipping) - click here to have one sent to you.