Finance and Operations Manager
Jews United for Justice (JUFJ, along with our sister 501(c)4 organization, the JUFJ Campaign Fund) is seeking and Finance & Operations Manager to work closely with the Senior Director of Finance and Administration and the outsourced accountants, auditors, and operations consultants to manage internal operations and build sustainable processes.
This person will also work to strengthen and maintain internal financial management and administration. We’re looking for an organized and driven individual who plays a critical role ensuring the organization is running smoothly behind the scenes. This role reports to the Senior Director of Finance & Organization. This is a full-time, exempt position that falls within a bargaining unit represented for collective bargaining purposes by a labor organization (NPEU/Local 70, IFPTE).
About Jews United for Justice
Jews United for Justice advances economic, racial, and social justice in the Washington, DC and Maryland region by educating and mobilizing our local Jewish communities to action. We move our region closer to equity and justice by advancing issue-based campaigns that make real, immediate, and concrete improvements in people’s lives and build the power of working-class and poor communities of color. Through these campaigns we develop leaders, build our Jewish grassroots community, shift the consciousness of our community, and build the collective power needed to undo systemic racism and inequality. Learn more about JUFJ.
Internal Operations | Support the Operations Department
- Support and manage internal systems including Google Drive, Slack, Zoom, Zenefits, and LastPass, including the onboarding of new operations systems to ensure a smooth deployment.
- Assist with facilities management of our office(s).
- Manage supply requests from staff and coordinate mailing and shipping of supplies, swag, equipment, and documents as needed.
- Manage print production with vendors for seasonal development projects
- Collaborate in annual goals and budget for the Operations Department.
- Oversee and manage relationships with IT services companies to ensure staff has the necessary technology, training, and policies in place to protect our information and reputation.
- Support the set-up and shipping of equipment and supplies for new staff.
Human Resources | Support our HR functions
- Support HR related staff training sessions including scheduling and content planning.
- Maintain the primary calendar for annual updates for payroll days, office closures, and staff training.
- Manage payroll + timesheets and staff questions that pertain to payroll.
- Support staff onboarding including organizing internal documentation and meeting schedule.
- Support the staff onboarding and offboarding processes to ensure:
- A base understanding, smooth, and consistent process for new and departing staff.
- Continual maintenance and evaluation of both processes for areas of improvement.
- Support staff benefits management including managing and working with our benefits broker
- Serving as a secondary point of contact for any questions, projects, etc.
- Support the annual open enrollment process including participating in the benefit selection, staff training, and staff enrollment.
- Support hiring managers with job postings, candidate outreach, and scheduling.
- Support the annual staff evaluation process.
Finance | Accounting Management
- Work with outsourced-accounting team to oversee daily financial operations to ensure all accounting processes are executed accurately.
- Manage external accounts payable processes, including working with vendors to efficiently process payments.
- Work on grant and revenue management processes and systems, coordinating with the development department to ensure revenue is organized and compliant with all grant, funder, and contract requirements.
- Lead internal expense tracking and processing, while working closely with the Senior Director of Finance & Administration to ensure accurate bookkeeping and reporting.
- Work with internal and external teams to manage monthly reporting; including overseeing and monitoring c4 staff and overhead allocations, including monthly invoicing and payments.
- Oversee the financial administration of the fiscal sponsorship program and partner regrants.
Administration | Support our Compliance functions
- Support and manage outsourced annual state filings to maintain organizational compliance including the following: employment, insurance, business, and tax registrations.
- Support the annual nonprofit charitable fundraising registration process.
- Support annual state filings to maintain organizational compliance including the following: employment, business, and tax registrations.
Qualifications & Experience
We’re looking for candidates with particular strengths in the following areas:
Ops & Finance Experience: Three to five years of experience related to operations and finances, with nonprofit experience preferred.
Detail Oriented: Is highly organized, with strong attention to detail — ensures that even the small things are correct.
Financial Knowledge: Ability to communicate financial concepts to, and effectively collaborate with, programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not have finance backgrounds.
Interpersonal Communication Skills: Possesses excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to correspond, interact, and quickly build trust with members at all levels of an organization.
Project Management Skills: Has excellent problem-solving skills and a strong sense of ownership over tasks, including follow-through, and is willing to be persistent and do what it takes to get the job done. Able to effectively plan and prioritize when faced with competing deadlines.
Self-Starter: Approaches work with a spirit of “yes.” Thrives in a fast-paced environment and can manage a high volume of work without sacrificing quality.
Team Player/Supporter: Has a strong orientation toward teamwork and collaboration. Views own work as supporting the whole and integral to the team’s effectiveness. We’re pretty busy here, and your job would be to make things run smoothly.
Technology: Enjoys working with technology and has the appetite and aptitude to learn more about our database, EveryAction (NGP VAN), Asana, Google Suite, Zoom, Zenefits, LastPass, Microsoft Word, and other relevant technology.
Integrity and Discretion: This position involves access to and sensitive use of confidential information. Candidates will have exceptional integrity and discretion to compartmentalize confidential information.
Belief in Mission: Actively demonstrates commitment to the mission of Jews United for Justice.
Compensation: $63,000 – $75,000 per year commensurate with experience.
Benefits: JUFJ offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical & dental insurance premiums, 25% of premiums for employee dependents, employer retirement contributions, short-term disability income protection insurance, public transportation stipend, and generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave.
Location: This is a full-time position based out of JUFJ’s Washington, DC office; the chosen candidate may have the option to work out of our Baltimore, MD office 3-4 days a week with supervisor approval.
At this time, JUFJ staff are operating remotely. Staff may choose to voluntarily work from JUFJ’s offices in DC or Baltimore. Staff will be expected to return to in-office work at the time in which JUFJ finalizes a return to office plan.
JUFJ is committed to building a diverse team that draws on the strengths of people with a variety of identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. People of color, indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, and immigrants are particularly encouraged to apply. You do not need to be Jewish. Please send a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references to email@example.com and indicate Finance & Operations Manager in the subject line.